Writing is a great way to boost literacy in the classroom, and daily writing is even better. We’ve created this free August writing prompt calendar to help your students develop a daily writing habit. If you are currently doing remote or hybrid learning, you can send this writing prompt calendar to families or add it to your Google classroom so kids can write at home. This variety of fiction and non-fiction writing prompts will help your students reflect on the new school year, friendship, and their favorite books.
If you have a writing journal that you already use with your students, we’ve also included a plain-text list of our August writing prompt calendar below.
- If your favorite toy could talk, what would it say? What would you want to say to the toy?
- Write about a time when you explored and new place or learned how to do something new. How did you feel?
- Tell about a place where you feel safe. What does it look like?
- Write about a time you were afraid.
- Tomorrow is Friendship Day! Write a letter to one of your friends.
- Think about your favorite book. Now describe that book and why you like it. Do you think others should read it?
- Of all the things I own, I really could not live without my _________ because…
- Would you rather live in an igloo or a treehouse? Explain.
- You are going on a trip on a jungle safari! What items do you pack in your suitcase?
- When I want to relax and be calm, I…
- Imagine your food could talk to you. Write about what you and your food would talk about.
- Write about something you could invent to make life easier for people.
- Are you excited about school this school year? Why or why not?
- If you could have your very own airplane, where would want to go? Why? What would you do there?
- Think about all the different sounds you hear when you are in nature. What three sounds remind you of nature?
- What is your favorite color? List some things that have this color. How does this color make you feel?
- Describe your bedtime routine.
- You are walking on a beach and see a treasure box. What is inside, and what do you do?
- What do you think is the perfect lunch? Write about the foods you would include.
- The best part about being a kid is…
- Write about the silliest thing you’ve ever done.
- One thing I wish I had done this summer is…