Writing is a great way to boost literacy in the classroom, and daily writing is even better. We’ve created this free December writing prompt calendar to help your students develop a daily writing habit. If you are currently doing remote or hybrid learning, you can send this writing prompt calendar to families or add it to your Google classroom so kids can write at home. This variety of fiction and non-fiction writing prompts will help your students reflect on 2021, winter holidays, and what they’re looking forward to next year.
If you have a writing journal that you already use with your students, we’ve also included a plain-text list of our December writing prompt calendar below.
- The greatest present I ever received was…
- If you could have any secret superpower, what would you want it to be and why?
- What are three examples of things your want? What are three examples of things you need?
- Describe something you do often or always. When do you do this? Why?
- If you could learn a new language, what would you want to learn?
- I wish my friends…
- Do you think pets are part of a family? Why or why not?
- You get to rename an animal. What animal would you choose, and what would its new name be?
- In the future people will travel by…
- What do you think it would be like to live in a gingerbread house?
- I feel proud when____
- What is something very important to you that you would not want to be taken away?
- How do you think airplanes work?
- Write a story using these 5 words: elf, tree, cookie, magic, shoe
- Do you like winter? Why or why not?
- You work at the zoo, and an elephant escapes. How do you find it?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would you call it?
- The greatest thing I can give to someone I love is…
- The most important thing I learned this year is…
- Imagine what it would be like if there were no electricity. What would be different in your daily routine?
- What kinds of activities can you do in the snow?
- If you were the size of an ant, where would you go? What would you do?
- What do you think next year will be like?